1908– a group of businessmen met in the old Amarillo City Hall to form the city’s first charity, which was called the Associated Charities. It was later called the United Charities and later, the Social Welfare Association.
1949– Travelers Aid Society and Social Welfare merged to form the Family Service of Amarillo.
Family Service of Amarillo circa 1949, located at 611 E. 5th Street (site of current Amarillo Civic Center)
1975– The High Plains Women’s Political Caucus established Amarillo Rape Crisis and Sexual Abuse Service to assist rape survivors and their families.
1978– the Domestic Violence Council was formed.
1979– the Junior League conducted a needs assessment that began the initial planning for the Domestic Violence Shelter.
1983– the Domestic Violence Council merged with Rape Crisis to establish the Rape Crisis/Domestic Violence Center.
1993– Rape Crisis/Domestic Violence merged with Family Guidance Center to form Family Support Services.
2014– Veteran Resource Center opened in old Center City Childcare location.